Monday, April 27, 2009

Maintaining the Chain

As I am riding back and forth to work I get to thinking about my chain which is nearly new. I had it changed when I purchased the new Michelin Pilot Powers to save installation charges as the rear tire had to removed anyway. When I parked the bike at the end of last season, I made sure to clean and lube the chain as well as flush and replace the old antifreeze. I also replaced the oil and filter for it is not recommended to store your bike with dirty oil.
Anyway I got my Suzie (my new name for my Suzuki SV650n) home

DSCN0013
(Suzie, resting at home plugged into a battery float level maintainer)

and then I decided to dig out my rear stand

DSCN0007

It's not too bad to lift the rear end by yourself as you can steady the bike "on the way up" , but I always worry that something will go wrong and the bike will come crashing on her side, the reason for the frame sliders.

DSCN0008
(8mm spools installed on both sides of the swing arm)

The swing arm is already threaded to accept the "spools" which come with the stand(s). I have both stands: front and rear, but I do not know how to set up the front for its use, so I don't use it.

DSCN0010

I don't understand why most bikes are not supplied with centre stands as standard equipment. They are special order, optional equipment items and they are very pricey. When I was checking out a V-strom they told me that a centre stand would cost around $150. plus installation was tricky. I am often reminded that a certain person has an exclusive brand which comes with a "self retracting centre stand". I suppose that is the way of the future, cost cutting to supply products with less features. For some reason they forgot to include a gas gauge on my model, but thankfully I have a low fuel reminder light, and a tachometer as standard equipment.
I am using Motul chain lube (for road bikes). It comes with a long tube which makes it easier to spray the lubricant into the correct spots while you manually turn the wheel. It doesn't take long to complete the circumference of the chain. It is always recommended to lube your chain after it has been warmed up and let it sit overnight to soak in.

DSCN0011

My Kymco scooter is sitting idle watching the whole proceedings and probably chuckling to herself as a CVT requires no maintenance during its lifetime. The Kevlar belt will probably last upwards of 15,000 kms before replacement.

DSCN0012

And my dog is happily resting oblivious to this whole maintenance thing dreaming she was in a warmer place sleeping under a coconut tree under a warm Florida sun.

14 comments:

  1. Triumph only charges 250 (world reserve currency) dollars for the very useful center/centre stand.
    You aren't a real motorcycloist until you grovel and clean with kerosene/paraffin and a stiff brush. Oh and you are being anthropomorphic which is a bad habit- your dog wants to go for a walk, not visit florida where it's too hot for Canadian huskies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bobskoot:

    Well the closeups of your bike tell a lot about the rider. For example, you can tell that you do not ride in an enviroment that supports, dust, water, nor dead bugs, as none of these items can be found on the machine. Also, there are no oil smudges nor grease spots on your bike, which suggests to me that you ride one a year, back and forth to the dealers.

    My BMW is the one with the self retracting side stand. My friend Dave Oehler rides a BVMW LT with has an electrically raised and lowered center stand as standard. His bike also has remote locking saddle bags and a top case.

    I still have a bunch of things to do on my bike, and may get to them today.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS -- The center stnd on the K75 was standard, as was the spring loaded handle incorporated into the frame to help lift it. I will post pictures of this as some folks in Florida will it inspiring.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conch:
    All of my bikes have a centre stand, except for the SV650, I also don't have a fuel gauge, nor an automatic retracting side stand, but I do have a Low fuel warning light, and my tachometer comes as standard equipment.

    Mr Jack:
    Has it ever occured to you that I finely detail my bike(s) after each and ride. Sometimes I am out there for hours at at time with my toothbrush getting into all those nook and crannies removing all evidence of dirt and grime under the light of my coal oil lamp, which I inherited from my great grandfather.
    Your spring loaded lifting mechanism has just given me a brilliant idea as a way for you to dismount your fine machine, you know, the one with the automatic retracting side stand. There was a certain Aston Martin fitted with an eject mechanism for the passenger, which was provided for a special operative of the British Secret Service. Perhaps one of these mechanisms can be found for your K75

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  5. My SYM scooter comes with both a side and center stand. Neither have automatic features like some BMW's we keep hearing about. The side stand is relatively worthless because it is really easy to knock over, especially if not on very flat ground. I use the center stand almost exclusively.
    I noted that you said that the drive belt on your CVT should get replaced at 15,000 km. My owner's manual calls for replacement at 12,000 km. I am just shy of 3,000 miles on my scooter now and have always been curious about the longevity of scooters. I would hope to get 35,000 miles or so, properly maintained, maybe more before it becomes a maintenance nightmare. That would get me 6 or 7 years or so at present usage rates. At that point I would probably become a bit tired of it and want something else like maybe the esteemed BMW.
    Would like to pose the question as to how many miles people are able to get out of their scooters If properly maintained.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear CPA3485:

    I tend to mention the incredibly well-designed features of BMW products less than those who do not have them, and as a result, bang their heads into the wall.

    If you wanted a well-appointed scooter, I suggest you look for a BMW C1.

    Pictures can be found here.
    http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=BMW+C1&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=6Yn4Sc7AMZyNtgfFy8GyDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Jack, (with apologies to BobSkoot for using his blog for direct communication), I don't think the C-1 would be quite up my alley although it is a very interesting looking vehicle.

    Here's a link to more of what I had in mind (although its just a concept apparently), and no you don't have to be able to read Italian to see the picture.

    http://www.motoblog.it/post/17414/bmw-sct-800-superscooter

    ReplyDelete
  8. cpa3485:
    If you have the SYM RV250, it is a very capable machine with the coated ceramic cylinder which is virtually indestructible. You will enjoy many years of utility with it. I am not sure how many miles a belt will actually last, but I am guessing that 15K wouldn't be unreasonable. Mine is around 9K and looks new, but my belt costs upwards of Cdn$160. but you wouldn't want to be stuck on the road with a shattered belt in the middle of nowhere.
    It's also hard to say how long a scooter will last. I would expect, with regular maintenance, you should get at least 35K, perhaps even up to 50K

    Jack:
    Kymco will be making the 800cc engine for the BMW scooter, and it looks suspiciously like the X500Ri that I currently have. The new X700Ri (Myroad) is on the Horizon and will feature an electric windshield and keyless starting system (eat your heart out Mr K75)bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bob,
    I have the HD-200 (171cc, they rounded up a bit). It does have the ceramic cylinder liners and is water cooled. I am actually very impressed with how it is performing even with just shy of 3,000 miles on it.

    That's very interesting that Kymco will make that engine for the BMW. I didn't know that, probably because I cannot read Italian. I also have trouble understanding kilometers, liters and centigrade. But what do you expect from somebody darn near in the middle of the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cpa3485:
    You're not alone in the metric department. I have to constantly convert back and forth but it's getting easier now.
    Kymco also makes the engine for the BMW G450X:
    http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=481696

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bobskoot,

    Love those pictures! One of the first things I did when I got my SV650 was have a SW-Motech center stand installed. It's on that bike that I "mastered" getting a bike on its center. Now I can whip the Beemer up in no time. Nice blog entry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharon:
    It's not that I can't purchase a centre stand, it's only around $250. installed, BUT my bike has high mileage. I didn't think it prudent to add any more accessories, better to put the funds into a newer machine, but (in these economic times)I didn't think it wise to show up at work with a new bike

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bobskoot-
    Good info on the post. Just have to say I have wanted an Sv650 since they hit the showrooms. Ahhh maybe someday.

    -Charlie-

    ReplyDelete
  14. Charlie:
    You know the old saying. The right number of bikes is +1 more than you have. The grass is always greener . . . as I'm liking your KLR

    ReplyDelete