Monday, June 16, 2014

Car Show Season, summer is around the corner

So far I have been to three car shows this month


I admire Hot Rods and the work that has gone into them


This is the interior of a Camaro, but I used to own a 1st Gen Pontiac Firebird Convertible and the interior is nearly the same.  I also had white seats


This is a very low, Rat Rod


I also gravitate to the gull wing hood of old fords


My first car was a  '56 Chevy 210.    This is a 1955.  Hard to tell from this photo but the Bel Aire treatment has been Painted ON.  This is not chrome, and that is not a fender vent.   This car can be driven anywhere.  It has disk brakes,  vintage Air, electronic dash and a Fuel injected LT1  engine


When I was a teenager I had always dreamed of owning a 1957 Olds


Look at the dash.  You would be blinded by all that chrome.  I also like the matching pink accents


Even the low rider club was there


and who wouldn't love to own this old Cadillac convertible, with continental kit

This has nothing to do with cars, but look how most cameras would handle a high contrast scene.


You would expose for the shadows and the view out the windshield would be overexposed and "blown" out,  or you would expose for the outside and see no detail in the dark areas.   Here is a bracked HDR


Three images taken at different exposures and blending using HDR software.  I am using  Photomatix Pro 5.0    Lots of info   HERE    and a link to a discount coupon.    (Disclaimer:  I am only a satisfied customer.  I have nothing to do with this company,  blah, blah,  etc)


Notice that I am in Summer mode . . . ?


18 comments:

  1. it's amazing..
    classic cars, i love that cars
    :-0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RBHF:

      I love old cars too. Not so much to own, but to admire. I'd rather drive/ride something more reliable and modern. Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  2. Three car shows in one month, you've been busy.

    I like to see the old cars though, so thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz:

      From going to every car show every weekend for years we are "car'd out" . We are more selective now and two of these shows we were participants as this is a non-riding year so we are just socializing with our car friends and doing car stuff. Not going to be much riding this year

      Delete
  3. It must be summer, three car shows. The only car from that era that I've seriously considered was a Willys pickup...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      Too bad you didn't let me know a few years ago. My Uncle had a Willys Collection and had a Willys pickup, which is rare. He also had a "Cab-Over" and they were Ultra rare.

      https://www.google.ca/search?q=willys+cabover&tbm=isch&imgil=AVNxVP0A-dx12M%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcSwxzMmSwEVwlWPW1SBMIyPh5VLwTbbQHniHL7gVj4fW6ngD42S%253B640%253B426%253B--5YFRQzTA_6xM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.jeeptruck.com%25252Fmjs%25252Fsale%25252Fadsm510%25252Fadsm510.html&source=iu&usg=__03GoK97jfE5v5fdJAQ00osvQAFc%3D&sa=X&ei=YmmgU83wKIj4oATCj4KQBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEEQ9QEwBQ&biw=1040&bih=560#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=AVNxVP0A-dx12M%253A%3B--5YFRQzTA_6xM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.jeeptruck.com%252Fmjs%252Fsale%252Fadsm510%252Fdata%252Fimages1%252Fwillys_cab_over_004.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.jeeptruck.com%252Fmjs%252Fsale%252Fadsm510%252Fadsm510.html%3B640%3B426

      We were in a car show in Penticton a few years ago and there was a Jeepster for sale and Mrs Skoot really wanted it. My friend also had a M37 or M38 Military Jeep which he only sold for $3,500.

      Delete
    2. Quite a few years ago I looked at a cab over Jeep with a blown engine. My ex-wife thought not as well as the Unimog I found around the same time. Back then I was looking for a chassis for a 4WD camper. Ended up getting a new F350 crew cab. Much more practical...

      Delete
    3. Richard:

      I've always liked Unimogs. There is an unofficial dealer near Hwy and 232nd, Langley BC. I was originally going to do a V8 conversion on my TJ Jeep but then decided no.

      Lately I've been looking at campers and motorhomes too

      Delete
  4. Finally a reason to use HDR. Never did get the attraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Conchscooter:

      Most HDR is Overdone and doesn't look natural. It is used to compress the tonal ranges which exceed the sensor's ability to capture the whole scene's dynamic range. Usually you use it when you are shooting in bright sunshine and want to see details in the shadows

      Delete
  5. I've always thought that 57 was the high-water mark in American cars. The Caddy, Olds, Buick, Chevy, Ford and Chrysler stuff all had classic style in 57. Much nicer than the somewhat dowdy early 50's and vastly better than the bloated garish later 50's stuff. I especially like the 56 and 57 Corvette's relatively clean and simple style much better than the overdone later models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David:

      There were many iconic cars made in 1957. The Baby T-Bird, the '57 Caddy Eldorado, '57 Chevy Bel-air. The '57 Oldsmobile had a great chrome dash

      Delete
  6. I just spotted an Aston Martin Lagonda in the first picture. Drool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David:

      You mean the bluish one ? NO, it's not an Aston Martin. I have more photos of it. It is from a little known car maker, can't remember the name now. This was the Salmon Run (car show) in Steveston

      Delete
  7. Bob, thanks for the great photos. Like you I love hot rods; I built a couple as a young man, then another a few years ago in Venezuela. I'd love another now....maybe a good retirement project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. El D:

      I'm trying to de-clutter, cut down on vehicles and reduce expenses. I once wanted a Hot Rod but missed my chance. I also love those Cobras, and Porshe 356 speedster. I don't want one now but I still don't mind looking at them

      Delete
  8. With so much gray and beige on the road these days, it's nice to see your pics loaded with all that color!

    My vote is for the Chevy Bel Air 1957.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John:

      Cars now are generally . . . Generic. They all sort of look the same except for their grills I suppose due to wind tunnel design and aerodynamics. Older cars were more colourful

      Delete