Sunday, May 19, 2013

I think we caught it in time

I was looking forward to today.  It is the start of a 3 day holiday weekend up here.  The weather wasn't great but I decided to roll out my Vstrom


For many years I have been going over to Victoria for the scooter rally and last year we met up with DAR who was an excellent group leader.  It was my plan to go again this year until, Mrs Skoot had her operation and I have to stay home with my household duties.   I wanted to test out my camping equipment before my trip.    I usually meet the guys on Saturday morning for breakfast but not today.


I stayed home and made breakfast for Mrs Skoot before heading out to do my errands.


It started to sprinkle but I was only headed to see my insurance agent so I could get my Beemer insured for the summer


My plan was to bring my BMW to get some maintenance items completed which were not done last year.  Here I am riding home in heavy traffic

Last September when I purchased my new to me R1200R, I asked the Previous owner for "THE FILE".   You know, the BMW maintenance file.  I know that I keep a file for each of my vehicles and all of my repair & parts invoices are kept there for future reference.   Anyway he said that he didn't have one.    This is why the first thing I did was to have an Oil/Filter change.   I was going to get new tires in the Spring, (and delay the expense) but they were so bad with the chicken strips nearly worn to the threads and the sides were nearly new, that I had no choice but to buy my tires immediately.  I settled for the Michelin Pilot Road 2's.  They are still nearly new with less than 100 kms on them.   I didn't ride my Beemer that much and I thought that I had taken care of everything


I park my Vstrom on the street in front and then I roll my Beemer out to the rear laneway.  This is the first time I had ridden it this year.   It feels so different, like a sports car whereas my Vstrom feels like a Jeep, a top heavy Jeep


I forget something so I roll around to the front and take a few photos of both bikes

How stupid could I be ?   Last year my intention was to do all the service on my BMW so I could start fresh and know what had been done.   Without the "File" I have to presume that nothing was done.   Now I have always had WET clutches and when you do an oil change, that's all you have to do.   During the Winter I had lots of time to read the various Beemer forums and then it struck me that I had a DRY clutch.  This means that I need to do a transmission flush, then there was the problem with the rear drive/differential and the splines on the drive shaft.  Then there was the ABS failures so last year I did a brake fluid flush


I arrive at my Mechanic's and he knows that I am going to observe and watch him change these fluids.  I asked ahead of time if I could do this so I change into more comfortable Crocs© .   I have already purchased all the crush washers, O-rings, special oils and Honda moly 60 and bring them with me


Here's another photo of that female sassy mechanic making faces again.   I feel right at home here, just like one of the gang


My bike gets loaded onto the lift and soon enough the rear tire is off, the exhaust is dismantled, the speed sensor is removed and the rear calipers are unhinged


The transmission fluid is drained and here's TED  refilling with new oil


The rear diff takes 180 ml and the transmission takes approx 800 ml before it reaches the top level and starts to seep out.   All input and output plugs have O-rings and these are all replaced.  The old ones feel very brittle as they are probably original and never changed before


This is where you fill the 180 ml into the differential, at about the 10 o'clock position behind the rotor.  O-rings here to including the drain plug below (out of sight)


A new happy customer.   This is Arthur the proud owner of a Triumph Street Triple with tires just installed.  This is the first time he has had his bike serviced here, and I know he will be back

There is a beverage fridge in the customer area which accepts "donations" .  I was getting a bit thirsty so I wanted a soda; coke or something like that, but it was full of something else


I wanted to drink something non-alcoholic so I had to wait

Now comes the moment of reckoning . . .   we break open the driveline to SEE . . .


DRY SPLINES . . .  boy was I disappointed and angry at the previous owner.    It looks like nothing has been done since new


and all my mechanic TED can do is to make faces and laugh . . .   This is no laughing matter

. . .  to be continued


18 comments:

  1. Bob - here's hoping that Ted got Nu2u ready or the road and you are back up & running. I didnt catch up with the guys, it was a quiet weekend for me. I needed some downtime. Hope Mrs Skoot is feling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar:

      I actually planned to come over this weekend, but Mrs Skoot's surgery changed all of that. My bike is nearly ready for the highway. It is just waiting for brake parts to come into the BMW dealership for a factory recall. and of course I need to put more miles on it, I still haven't got used to it yet

      Delete
  2. Bob, I hope that no major damage has been caused by this oversight. Glad, that you might have caught it in time. Looking forward to your road trip. I wish I could be there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja:

      I am not an expert, but TED tells me that the splines look fine. Now they are lubed with Honda Moly 60 so all is well for at least 2 years. The BMW requires more maintenance, like the rear diff lube and brake flushes every 2 years so there are no ABS pump failures, so I am learning by reading the Beemer forums. Road trip plans still going ahead.

      Delete
  3. Wow. If nothing else I would have thought dry splines would have been very noisy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canajun:

      No noise if they are meshing correctly. Noise means destruction, and also NO metal shavings that we could see and all splines are beveled with no burrs

      Delete
  4. Bummer about the splines Bob, though I can't really tell from the pictures, they're still usable though right?

    dom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom:

      all is looking good. Ted says it looks okay, so I believe him. anyway it is lubed now

      Delete
  5. Bob

    The splines don't appear to be worn. Lubing the splines is not an official BMW servicing item is it?

    I have heard of clutch splines being stripped on 1150s.

    Incidentally the main culprit in transmission failures on the GS models seems to be the wheel bearing and this is not touched by the spline lube or the differential oil.

    Enjoy!

    N


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikos:

      I think you are right, it was not a service item on this model but they revised their thinking and now recommend the splines be lubed every 2 years or 40K kilometers. Same with the diff lube where they recommend no more than 180ml of diff oil

      the only problem with my model is the dreaded "fuel strip" failures

      Delete
  6. The splines don't really look worn (they're not sharp from wear) and if they are completely dry, they probably came that way originally. I would consider mixing the Honda 60 with some thick grease to help keep it in place as it's kind of thin and runny by itself. Also, yours is the R model and not the GS so a less suspension travel would be expected...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      the splines are most likely, okay. That's the opinion from my mechanic and now they are lubed and will be again in 2 years. the problem with the GS is the angle of the driveshaft and needed to be shimmed

      Delete
  7. Bob,
    I don't see rough or sharp edges from here. If it were mine, I'd spend a little time with an abrasive pad to make sure there were no sharp burrs on mating surfaces before removing any of that dust, then carefully apply the lube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coop:

      No burrs, nor any wear noted. All looked okay so we just lubed the splines and bolted it back together

      Delete
  8. Bob, looking forward to part II when we learn all is fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David:

      all is fine with the World. I am nearly satisfied that my bike is ready. I just need more bonding time to get used to the different ergonomics.

      Delete
  9. There's beer in the 'fridge? Can I get a job there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan:

      You don't need a job there. The fridge is on the honour system, take a drink and put your "donation" in the jar.

      If you ride here, I would take you there for your oil change. He has flexible hours and you can talk to the mechanic while he works on your bike. You can even ask questions too

      Delete