Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My twin cylinder Boxer engine needs Four

I was trying to get comfortable riding my Nu2me Beemer so last week I used it to commute to work


I'm still trying to get used to the German way of using the signal lights but it seems not as hard as it was before.   The clutch is hydraulic and engages with the lever farther out than I am used to and the brakes are 4 times better than my Vstrom.   The engine requires premium fuel due to the higher compression ratio and you can feel the power when you accelerate.

On my way home I went over a speed bump and it felt as if my tire squished out and nearly hit the rim, due to the low profile Michelin Pilot Road 2.  On my Vstrom I would accelerate over speed bumps and the suspension would just absorb it, but now on my Beemer I have to be more careful and slow down a bit.  I seem to feel every bump & ripple on the uneven roadway.   I guess I prefer my Vstrom on these rough, badly maintained roads we have in Vancouver.

Both bikes are insured right now but for the first while I would always choose my Vstrom over my R.  I guess I am more familiar with riding it, after all it has taken me many places since I purchased it in 2009.


I was just thinking the other day that I would trust my Vstrom to take me anywhere in North America on a moment's notice.   I could leave today if I had the time and funds.  It is ready to roll,  then why I ask myself did I buy a pre-owned R without maintenance records.   I have already spent a fortune getting this and that done, spline lube, diff oil change, transmission flush,  engine oil and filter change, new tires and I still have a new battery on back order.   I had to buy a new rack so I could buy a top box.

I decided to go to a different dealer on my way home to buy some spark plugs.  I was not sure that I needed them but I think the ones I have are the originals and I didn't wish to undertake a long trip without replacing  them.  Who would have thought that they would be as expensive as they are.  I even checked ebay, but I decided to just pay the premium for being a Canadian


I am replacing everything that I can think of so that I don't have to worry about it when I am in unfamiliar territory, far from home.  I can handle an oil change if I had to do it myself.   I also wanted to install new brake pads front and rear but upon inspection, they look like they are new


Yes, my plugs cost a fortune up here and remember that this price already includes a 10% discount.  My R1200R uses two plugs per cylinder and are of the 2 electrode design


I tried to find them elsewhere for less, but no one carries these, except the BMW dealer.   With these new plugs installed I don't feel any difference in operation.  The bike appears to react the same but perhaps they will burn a bit cleaner and give me more mileage due to better burning but it makes me feel good that I have one less thing to worry about


Oh Oh,  my "R" is a chick magnet but that's another story for another day . . .


24 comments:

  1. I remember using those dual electrode plugs forty years ago in the Mazda Wankel engine. Back then, they were hard to find as only one manufacture made them. Remember, the only cheap thing on a BMW is the owner…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      They only use these type of spark plugs on two BMW models. We also had two RX-7's with the B12 engine. Driving it was like sitting inside a skateboard.

      Beemers take a bit more maintenance but I knew that before I purchased it. I like to keep machinery maintained and thankfully it is now up to my standards. Nothing major for the next 2 years until the next spline lube

      Delete
  2. I thought the NGK plugs in the Zx-14 were bad at $9.99 each..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erik:

      On eBay these plugs are around $10. each, but then there is the shipping and the time delay to get them. I can't leave everything until the last moment so I decided to just "buy them". Regular price up here, including our 12% would have been $21. I can buy the cheaper USA ones for my next change.

      Delete
  3. Bob, sounds like you have a bit of performance anxiety going. Remember, riders go around the world on Beemers. There is nothing wrong with it. Maybe go for a few short trips before you ride the big one to bond with Nu2me. It will likely be much more comfy on the long straight stretches in the prairies and the plains, than your V-Strom, and bonus no chain lubing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja:

      I was still deciding to use my Vstrom as I am used to it. I didn't really need to buy the "R" but I always wanted to ride one. My Vstrom needs nothing, except new chain and sprockets. It is ready to go and already set up for touring

      I had planned to take a short trip but I can't leave home right now or who else would make the dinners and do the laundry ? I am still hoping that Mrs Skoot will be well enough so I can take this trip, as planned

      Delete
    2. +1 to what Sonja said. I think you are worrying yourself needlessly. Much better brakes, better acceleration, no chain and sprockets, lower center of gravity. Sounds like a great option for your cross country trip. I think you just need to get out on some trips first. I know that you like your independence but have your family come over for the weekend to help Mrs. Skoot while you take a short trip to the Yukon or something.

      It almost sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into taking the V-Strom since it's more familiar....

      Delete
    3. Richard:

      I am forcing myself to ride my "R" to get used to it. There are several advantages to my Vstrom which I may post about . . . thus I will save my reply for later

      I am trying to solve my wind buffeting. I tried spacers under the front mount but I need more "backwards rake angle". With the Madstat adjustable bracket on my Vstrom, it is nearly wind free and more pleasurable to ride "at speed"

      Delete
  4. Bob

    You will find that once you have grown the statutory beard the BMW will feel much more natural.

    N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikos:

      I will have a beard in no time. Once I hit the road there would be no reason to shave, after all, I'll be on vacation

      Delete
    2. PS

      NGK iridium plug DCPR8EIX ( R1200GS / R1200ST / R1200RT / R1200R / R1200S ) | SIA77560I


      NGK Iridium spark plugs benefit from the use of the precious metal Iridium on its centre electrode.Iridium is harder than other precious metals used in spark plug manufacture, has an extremely high melting point and offers greater protection from chemical attack.These features allow the use of an extremely small diameter electrode without compromising the plug's service life.

      Delete
    3. Nikos:

      I thought about Iridium's but if regular plugs cost $21. each then I didn't want to ask what the Iridiums would be, but I now have time to research for the next time I need to change my plugs.

      I notice on eBay that most of these plugs come from the UK

      ps: every time I hit my signal light cancellation switch, I think of you. It's getting easier. I think that is the hardest part about riding my "R"

      Delete
    4. Bob

      The advanced motorcycling course advocates the concept of considered signalling. Normally it's not worth it as most road users are texting etc and do not notice. You may as well wear a giraffe costume.

      Delete
  5. I like your comment to "just pay premium because I am a Canadian", that says it all. Why is everything so much more expensive for us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzu:

      It's a conspiracy by all the manufacturers and distributors to keep our prices high. Same with cars where they won't honour their warranty if not purchased in Canada, same with cameras and some models of motorcycles. I have found that the the distributor wholesale price in Canada is the retail price in the USA.

      Delete
  6. Bob - all will be forgotten once you hit the open road ... soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen:

      I am happy to have the maintenance done, which was most likely not done by the PO. You read about certain failures with Beemers but most of these were caused by lack of preventative maintenance. I don't wish to be stranded waiting for parts some where far away when I could have just done it now, even though it is more expensive here, rather than in the USA. Only two more things to do; Recall for the front brake lines, and possible brake fluid flush thrown in, and new battery which was on Back order, but should be in by now. Oh, and extra keys. one of which had to be shipped from the fatherland (Germany), because it had to be programmed to the VIN of my bike

      Delete
  7. Bob, looks like the bikes come from the same factory as the cars. Germans have a way of looking at controls differently and don't like to follow the herd. We're still trying to wrap our driving habits around what our X3 expects of us. Don't get me going on Beemers and potholes. That's why we bid farewell to the 328i.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David:

      I actually have self cancelling signal lights. They are supposed to turn off after you accelerate to 27 mph, or 20 seconds but I find that criteria to be too long and I wanted to have them shut off a bit sooner, so in the meantime I continue to turn them off myself.

      Delete
  8. I had to chuckle reading this.

    Alas, like with people, in moto machines I believe there is only "one true love" in a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb:

      I wouldn't call it true love, necessarily. It's just that I have become accustomed to my overweight, top heavy V-strom. I think it requires much less maintenance and is considered to be more reliable

      Delete
  9. If I was around I would throw my AirHawk on top of your gel pads and you would likely be a pretty happy guy.

    You could do worse than to get ahold of a Spitfire shield. They are cheap, can be adjusted for height and angle and are smaller than what you have, so that buffeting would no longer be an issue. There is also a larger shield that fits onto the same mounting hardware as the Spitfire. That would give you more options without spending big bucks.

    Once you have the riding position and seat comfort sorted out and you have banished the buffeting, I have no doubt that they will have to pry you off that BMW. It will be a joy to ride. Mine was, despite the quirks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David:

      the problem is that I have a Cee Bailey windshield mount so I may have to buy another one if I buy another windshield. My R rides very nicely but I am just not used to it. On the highway I get too much buffeting. My Vstrom is much better at speed.

      I've seen the Airhawks but they seem very expensive, perhaps they are cheaper when I go to the 'States this summer

      Delete