Sunday, May 26, 2013

Manual Rotating GoProHD Hero1

When I first got my GoProHD Hero1 I have always wanted move it around so that I could shoot on either the left or right sides, and also to the rear when I have someone riding behind me.  Most bike videos are shot looking straight ahead which becomes a bit boring after a while


I am leaving on a trip soon and I wanted to get my mount ready and also mount my Spot2 to my handlebars using RAM mounts.  I am also powering my Garmin Nuvi GPS using a USB power cable.


I am using a combination of RAM mounts to get the Hero1 away from the windshield so it hangs out into the wind as if it is floating over the road


I have the large tripod mount which is attached to a tripod head.   Most ball mounts only have ONE knob so you cannot rotate it.   I went looking around for one with TWO knobs but they are very expensive or only come attached to tripods and not sold separately.   I have exhausted all the local photo shops but then I remembered that I have just such a head which I do not use because it has the stupid Arca Swiss removeable quick release.  If you own one you will know what I mean


Here is my conglomeration of parts.   A U-mount to the handlebar then a short extension connected by a double 1" ball and then a normal extension.  I do not want to shoot video looking through the windshield, so this allows my Hero1 to peak out to the side, or over the top

I recorded my first test video last week



and last week commuting home from work, I decided to take the freeway home on my BMW  R1200R

Since I am going to be using my small 11.6" Acer i3 Laptop for my trip I decided post this entry with it.  The keyboard is a little cramped as I am a touch typist but I have to get used to it as it has to be my friend for a few weeks and I want to be able to post daily as long as I have WiFi

I also edited and rendered the following video using this small laptop.  I have an old version of Premier Elements installed and I wanted to see how it handled the large files.

Here is the 2nd test video



On Saturday I headed down to Gastown where I snapped this photo of Nu2Me


Mrs Skoot has been house bound for a couple of weeks now so on Sunday we decided to take a short drive so she could see what was outside of our 4 walls.


As you notice I transition into Spring mode quite easily


17 comments:

  1. Nice looking mount. You need to smile more or start talking to your audience through the camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      I get a lot of wind buffeting because I cannot angle my windshield back and it hits right into my face shield. I use a 3/4 helmet in town, but I did buy a modular for my trip which should help a bit. I am traveling at freeway speeds so there is a lot of wind, otherwise I would have tried to say something

      Delete
  2. Bob, that's excellent. I thought with all those parts and so much extension you'd have too much vibration. Must be good BC roads and awesome riding skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David:

      Not much vibration as the U-bolt is tight, and I'm only using a short extension before the "dumb bell double ball". After that there is the normal extension which I plan to change the orientation from horizontal to vertical to clear the windshield "over the top". This should reduce vibrations a bit. But don't forget that handlebars are "dampened" by the front shocks

      Delete
  3. That is one busy cockpit you've got going there...are you sure you weren't a test pilot in a previous career that you're not telling us about?? It's quite a neat configuration you've worked out to fit all those gadgets onto your handlebars...well done!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzu:

      The cockpit is much smaller than my Vstrom. Not really much going on as only the GoProHD needs to be rotated. The GPS and SPOT2 are static and I only have to look at their respective displays to make sure they are working. I have only installed what I need for my long trip

      Delete
  4. I tried something similar. The main issue I had was vibration and wind moving the GoPro box. I was never able to resolve it satisfactorily; I swapped it with a Drift stealth and it helped a lot. I then moved the GoPro to the back of the bike and had it facing backwards or out to either side of the bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Puppy:

      I can't remember, a voice from the past "Chris" if I remember. Vibrations are not much of a problem with the GoProHD, only the horizontal placement of that normal arm which is not as secure as moving it more vertical.

      The Drift is easier to use and the ON and OFF is more secure, that is for sure. Don't forget you can change to the "solid" door on the GoProHD

      I now have two GoPro's. I bought the Hero3 for the remote control function and plan to mount it somewhere where I can't reach, somewhere low down for a close to the road shot

      Delete
  5. Nice feature, Bob. But you need to learn to smile, mister ;-)

    Looking forward to your trip. Sounds like you are perfectly set up now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja:

      I was smiling. It's just that the helmet is tight at the cheeks and the buffeting doesn't help

      Nearly ready, except that my battery was back ordered, and I still have to wait for the front brake line to be replaced under a BMW Motorad recall program.

      I keep looking at my calendar. Imagine that in less than 3 months, I will be back and it will be like it never happened

      Delete
  6. I bought the suction you recommended. It works just fine. Would this set up be better than that Geicko you recommended? I think you look cute riding BTW! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KT:

      I still have my Gecko too but this new tripod mount lets me rotate the GoProHD. I think I can mount this rotating head onto the Gecko. I have to check the threads . . . and thank you

      Delete
  7. Do you find that messing around with a camera distracting? I've found that while riding, I can do little else. I find even listening to music somewhat distracting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      I don't take chances, that's why I like to have a camera mounted instead of around my neck and shoot with my left hand method. My hands are nearly always on the handlebars and I only move them up a bit to rotate the camera, or else I just leave it pointed ahead or to the rear and when I get a chance I can rotate it again. I can always edit it a bit to make the sequences shorter. That's why the rear view as too long, I was waiting for the traffic to pass. It's not a problem to have the camera recording for longer than necessary before you can safely move it around.

      Music would not be distracting on large straight-a-ways. That's why I was going to activate my Sirius satellite radio so I don't have to keep talking to myself all day long

      Delete
  8. My gosh, I just realized as I was watching your second video . . . since I moved to the island I haven't been on a freeway.

    I like that on-bike perspective. Seems to me that the commercial areas in Vancouver are built more to the human scale. Lower rooflines, maybe, and more compact structures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John:

      because of high real estate prices, most new construction is "compact", and small by USA standards, more like European.

      Our freeways are clogged and congested as our road infrastructure is decades behind in handling the traffic.

      Delete
  9. Just catching up on forums Bob, but isn't the SPOT device supposed to be mounted away from other GPS devices as stated in the SPOT manual? If I am using the Garmin, I mount my SPOT on top of my sidecase just for that reason.

    ReplyDelete