Saturday, July 20, 2013

Portland, Maine

Today I made it to the Atlantic Coast


Traffic here is unbelievable.  Too many cars, too many left lane hoarders and did I mention that it was nearly 100 F.    We started early this morning just south of Hartford, CT and arrived around 3pm

We took the scenic route north on Hwy 1 and ended up at the very popular Ogunquit Beach


Before long we ended up at our destination for the next few days.   Traffic was very challenging and I have to tell you now to not believe everything that Karen may write about our episodes today.    Suffice to say that the roads are not straight and traffic was unforgiving, and it was hot and humid.   Your GPS may lead you to your correct address but does not always tell you which lane to be in and decisions have to be made on the spur of the moment



I recognized the driveway as we were approaching and also scooters were parked on the street to guide us in

Here is our host for the next few days

   Mike, author of  Scooter for Fun

As luck would have it there was another blogger preparing food in the kitchen

   Thomas, author of  Scooter by the Sea

This was the first time that I have ever had home-made Lobster Rolls


This is the first time that I have ever been to Portland, Maine and we were made most welcome by Mike and BRW.   More adventures to follow as we are going on our first group ride in the morning


16 comments:

  1. Bob - What happens in Maine, stays in Maine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool that you made it to Maine to hang out with the very famous Mike and Thomas! And we can't forget the BRW!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz:

      You've got friends here too, just come on over . . .

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Deb:

      anytime you get riders together, you always have a good time. and there's always food involved too

      Delete
  4. What an incredible journey you are on! Some day maybe hubby and I will be able to do a trip like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam:

      I've never done this before, then I thought if I don't do it now, then WHEN ? who knows what the future may bring or how long your health will hold. I took unpaid time off to allow more time.

      sorry we missed, ran out of time. perhaps we'll see on my return route

      Delete
  5. Keep going 3000 miles and I'll treat you to a Cheshire cream tea with homemade scenes and raspberry jam!

    N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikos:

      I just need the Wunderlich snorkel FI module and scuba suit

      Delete
  6. Extreme super slab, heat and traffic. Much respect for your endurance and determination. Wife and I would not have made the progress you have in those actually in any conditions. Maybe 300-400 km a day, back roads, low speeds for us. Congratulations on finally getting to enjoy lobster in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul:

      this was the reason I bought the Beemer. My Vstrom would be struggling at 80mph all day with high RPMs

      I can't do 500 miles every day, but once in a while but I can maintain 350-400 miles a day

      Delete
  7. Homemade lobster rolls! It doesn't get much better than that. It sounds like a great trip so far and you're just getting started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      My real trip started when we headed north from Portland, ME. Being so close we just had to meet Mike, BRW & Thomas. Kevin and Tina were just bonus's

      a full lobster dinner is quite expensive, but I think I may try one before we head home. Maybe when we hit Shediac, NB, which is the Lobster capital of the world

      Delete
  8. Ed:

    haven't planned my route home yet. May even think about north of Superior and then south to Duluth. I did drive across Canada twice (back and forth) but it is more expense than the US routes

    Lots of time to think about this

    ReplyDelete