Tuesday, December 18, 2012

48 years ago I was

single and working at my summer job over on Vancouver Island in a little community west of Lake Cowichan called Mesachie Lake.  I had been working there for a few summers and periodically coming back to Vancouver on some weekends.  Most weekends we would just cruise up and down the Island Highway down to Victoria or over to Chemainus or northward to Yellow Point.   I worked at a lumber camp and shared a room with my cousin.  There is not much to do there on the weekends when you don't own a car and where there is no public transit.

One weekend during the summer I was invited to a house party in Vancouver.  Back then it was a 2 hour trek to Nanaimo to catch the BC Ferry, plus another 2 hours to get back to the mainland.   Our family were  friends with another family and it was their daughter who was hosting the party in their home in the Dunbar area.

Meet Bonnie   (November 2012)

Little did I know at that time that this would be the first time that I would set eyes on Mrs Skoot, so many years ago.  We do keep in touch although she did used to live in the UK and Australia but she has now come back home to Vancouver.   She invited us for dinner a month or so ago and I was watching her prepare our seafood soup dinner


she was getting the prawns and scallops ready to add to her soup base.   She is an excellent cook so I was  watching her every move


The soup was nearly ready as we chatted the hours away


It was finally time to sample our meal.  Excellent if I must say


She also made a most excellent apple cobbler dessert while I brought my chocolate bundt cake

Mrs Skoot, Bonnie & Myself

Older but wiser.  Who would have thought that 3 teenagers would make it this far ?  Still friends after all these years.   That party changed my life for the better, thanks again Bonnie


20 comments:

  1. What a great story! Aren't you glad that you took the time to actually get to that party all those years ago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori:

      being a teenager, I was not a party person. Social yes, Party No. This was a houseparty so I was glad that I went. That was before I had a car so coming to town was much better than staying at the camp

      Delete
  2. very cool story, indeed Bob. Congrats to you and Ms Scoot for hanging in there after all of these years together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat:

      Ah, the good old days. If only we knew how good it was when the world was an innocent place. I guess I'm the lucky one for not being single again . . .

      Delete
  3. Awwww, and such a cute picture at the end there too. It is nice to hear of friends still hanging out after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz:

      Yes, we have kept in touch. We used to visit her parents all the time when Bonnie was living in Australia, and then she moved to the UK for a few years. We would have had a place to stay but we didn't know anyone over there back then.

      We actually had brunch with her last Sunday which prompted me to post this condensed version/story.

      Delete
  4. Nice story and the bundt pan is getting a lot of use...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      even though that Bundt pan was expensive (for what it is), I really wanted a cast iron one, makes things bake better. I've still got a few recipe projects on the backburner, but daily meal cooking is forcing me to relax after dinner and dishes.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Nikos:

      Teenaged mind, but failing body parts. I am on the wrong side of the Life cycle curve. I am trying to compress a lifetime into the next 5 years

      Delete
  6. What a lovely tale of friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja:

      Mrs Skoot has mostly kept in touch with all her elementary and high school friends. I don't know where all of mine went ? Just lost touch after all these years, it's a long story which I am hesitant to reveal as I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me. We have to look ahead, not back . . .

      Delete
  7. 48 years? Really? That's a long time indeed and it's wonderful that you're still in touch. I hate to admit I'd lost touch with all of my high school and teenaged acquaintances (just didn't seem important at the time) but have managed to reconnect with a few via facebook in the last few years. But still there are many I wish I knew what happened to them and where they are today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canajun:

      I have another friend whom I met when I was 10. So we have known each other for 56 years, we used to ride motorcycles back in the 80's. As time passes things are different from what we perceived them to be. You can never go back to what it was. That's why I don't worry about finding them

      Delete
  8. Heart warming - just goes to show true friendships last despite years or miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen:

      A true friend will be there for you when you need them, regardless of distance and whether you see each other on a regular basis, or not. I can't wait for a familiar smile when I am miles from home.

      Delete
  9. Aw, how sweet. The soup looks delicious! Real, long-term friends are one of life's best treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy:

      This was my first attempt at duplicating her soup by asking questions and observing. We were also at a friend's last week and we discussed her recipe for her famous Meat Balls. and Yes, the soup was delicious with fish, prawns and scallops, expensive ingredients.

      It's nice to have good friends whom you can count on if you need help

      Delete
    2. Nice story Bob. I see Yvonne still has her arm in a sling. How is that going?

      Delete
    3. David:

      it's getting better every day. She needs to do some Physio as the muscles are still weak

      Delete