Sunday, December 2, 2012

Not too cold, not too wet

so I pondered my Sunday options.   I normally don't ride on Sundays as that is "family day", time for me to spend time with Mrs Skoot.  But since she is not yet back to normal due to her broken wrist we have been staying closer to home.  And today her hip was giving her a problem and walking was painful so as she was resting, I . . .


decided to uncover my Vstrom and in my haste, I forgot to check my tire pressures, but I didn`t know it then


I snap on my side cases and head south.  While traveling down Oak Street the rear end feels a bit snaky


and that was when I remembered about checking my tires so I diverted in search of a gas station for an air compressor.  Air is NOT FREE anymore.   Most stations charge for use of their air machine, so instead of the highway I changed direction and headed East on Kent Avenue where I stopped in some pooling water.  It had been showering on and off, and right now the rain was off


It felt good to be riding my Vstrom.  The throttle feels smoother at slower speeds than my Beemer, not so touchy.  I was on a mission to visit a friend in Burnaby, lots of traffic and not many places to stop so I just continued riding, without photos


After chatting, coffee and some biscuits it was starting to get dark and it was lightly raining so I had to return home to start dinner.  I don`t know how women can go to work, do the shopping, housework, laundry and then come home to cook dinner.  Maybe they should learn to do things faster


I stop at Queen Elizabeth Park on my way home to snap a few photos


I know, I shouldn`t park on the wrong side of the street, but I wanted to get the pond in the photo.  When I was much younger I used to come here all the time to play with my toy sailboat


soon enough I get home and have to do the dance with my narrow walkway


My Beemer seems much easier to push around.  The Strom takes a lot more effort


The hardest part is to maneuver (jog) my handlebars past the narrow gate


A pleasant afternoon.  Not too cold, nor too wet but dark when I finally arrived home.   Ahhh, the good life on the Wet Coast of Canada


18 comments:

  1. what happened to your new air compressor? What an opportune time to try it out on the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      My air compressor was safely stored at home as there was not enough room under the seat of the "R", to squeeze it in there. I do have another compressor under the seat of my Vstrom, bought in Oregon when the other one failed, but I have not yet tested it. I thought it easier to find a gas station with Free air, but I didn't. So I just rode the way it was and finally ended up at home. I can check it next time before I take it out.

      Delete
    2. I thought it was funny since your last post was about your portable compressor. I carry my compressor in one of the fairing pockets which don't seem to be useful for much due to their shape.

      Delete
    3. Richard:

      I don't have fairing pockets. I worry about my tank bag in the city. I normally check my tires at home and use my electric compressor, but I was in a rush and forgot.

      Delete
  2. "After chatting, coffee and some biscuits it was starting to get dark and it was lightly raining so I had to return home to start dinner. I don`t know how women can go to work, do the shopping, housework, laundry and then come home to cook dinner. Maybe they should learn to do things faster."

    ugh...lol...grrr...lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms M:

      I purposely put that in, just waiting for comments. It's a big responsibility planning the dinners. I run out of ideas and you can't have the same thing every day. We are eating more vegetables too so we feel a bit healthier. Somehow I think I am getting more domesticated. Why eat out when you can eat home and save the dollars.

      Delete
  3. You are right, live can be good this time of the year when it is not too cold and not too rainy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja:

      I don't really mind the rain but I worry more about emergency maneuvers caused by stupid cars who don't look. That is the main reason I take the car. It is not my abilities, but the lack of the abilities of others over whom I have no control. If I didn't live in the heart of the city with the way traffic flows I would be riding more.

      Sunday was a choice between a short ride, or baking and I hadn't used the Vstrom in weeks.

      Delete
  4. I bet it was nice to take the Wee out again. Nice to compare the two bikes.

    I really like the bike shadow in the puddle shots. You are so good about getting creative with the camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz:

      each bike has their own personalities, handle differently but the seat on Nu2me is too low. All the used seats are in the USA and I have problems ordering due to high shipping costs. They won't ship via Truck, always via FEDEX and I can't pay $150. shipping for an $80. used seat.

      It is hard to take low angle shots with my Lumix TS3 as the screen is fixed. I need one with a moveable screen which my NEX-5n has, but it was in my top case.

      I like the Wee but the "R" is more suited for the highway, which is my plan for the next couple of years.

      Delete

  5. Bob - I will just ignore the comment about women doing things faster! Nice shot of the bike in the puddle - hope you didn't get too much mud slung on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen:

      As Troubadour posted below. Women are better at multi-tasking.

      I get carried away when I walk I head straight for the puddle, so naturally while I was looking for a spot to take a photo, I headed for the puddle. I also can't pass up mud puddles either but then I would have to uncover my non-shoes

      Delete
  6. I'm with Richard, you posted about your new compressor so I was disappointed to learn you didn't use it.

    As a recent hausfrau myself, I too appreciate the efficiency at which the women folk seem to get chores done. I think it has something to do with their ability to multitask whereas men are easily distracted by shiny objects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troubadour:

      Firstly, my naked compressor was at home. I have an untested air compressor in my Vstrom, purchased in Sisters when my other one failed which has never been used, so I don't know if it works.

      "HausFrau", I like that word. Women make us look bad because they do too much. Sometimes I wonder how they can fit it all in

      Delete
    2. Bob - glad to see you were able to get your foot out of your mouth with Troubadour's help ;-)

      Delete
    3. Karen:

      I thought you were going to "Bob - I will just ignore the comment about women doing things . . . ".

      I guess you changed your mind again

      Delete
  7. Bob I know you like to provoke to get a reaction, but remember, there are a lot of classy ladies along for many of your rides. Keep those snarky comments coming and keep stopping in puddles, and you'll be in for a splashy treat one of these days. So carry on, but make sure your gear is waterproof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David:

      I think you understand . . .

      I am attracted to puddles and Mud. I am going to get you to try it next year.

      Delete