Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Two Ki'i, and then there were three

The last time we came to the Big Island of Hawai'i we drove everywhere, and around the Island but we were time challenged so even though we drove right past, we didn't stop at "Pu'uhonua o Honaunau" National Historic Park, aka: "Place of Refuge". A massive stone wall was built around 1550 and still stands. (more info here: www.nps.gov/puho). It is basically a place where they have restored the ancient Hawai'ian ways and was the residence of the Royal Chief, great great grandfather of Kamehameha I.

On the way here, which is south of Kona we stopped at Kealakekua Beach which is very picturesque

DSC00835

The waves are very powerful here and is a popular spot for scuba divers and kayaking

DSC00844

We probably spent about an hour here watching the waves and having a snack and soon we get underway and arrive at the Historic Park

P1080573

I saw photos of these figures after we returned home and I knew that if we returned I just had to take some photos for myself. Here are two Ki'i, Gardians of the Palace of Refuge

DSC00852
Ki'i: Gardians

From the photos that I have seen I thought that they would have been larger than they were, and they also face towards the sea. There was also another figure on the lava rocks but since this is considered to be sacred land you are not allowed to walk anywhere off the trail, nor can you climb onto any ancient structure or over the sea wall, nor can you wade into the water, nor sunbathe, so I had to keep my shoes on. Otherwise I would have gotten a front view photo

DSC00851

They seemed to be a friendly two-some so we both posed for a group picture

DSC00849

It was hot standing here under the Hawai'ian sun but they asked if I could stand guard with them

DSC00853
(Three Ki'i: Guardians of the Place of Refuge)

. . . and so I did

9 comments:

  1. Bob, you make a great Ki'i. I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog. Like Steve Williams' blog, it always make me think, it often makes me smile, sometime makes me laugh, and has even brought tears. The key ingredient in a great blog when all is said, is how the author reveals their humanity. You never fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Bob. I think you two are enjoying yourself way too much, but you deserve it.

    I hope you are there to enjoy the sunshine for a few more days.

    I really enjoyed all the pictures, but my favorite is the first picture of you two together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob

    Love the post and pictures! You are so lucky you are not home right now, we are being blasted by snow. Hope you through some winter gear in your luggage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you are really enjoying your time on the big island. The last time I was there was over 30 years ago and we spent most of our time up on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa gathering data on lava flows. There wasn't a whole lot of time for exploring.

    Thank you for sharing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BobSkoot,
    While I sit here enduring one of the most boring winters imaginable, you post pictures and commentary of beaches and statues in Hawaii while wearing shorts and t shirts.
    Darn You! Have you no heart?
    Seriously, those are fun pictures and it looks like a good time.
    I hope to be back on the road Feb 7.
    Take Care
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Absolutely great area to play in. I'm sorry that you are back in the frozen north. I hope the fires will burn in your head and heart a little longer to keep you warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David:

    You are so kind with your comments. I was once shy but I hung around photographers were were always taking photos of each other, so I got more comfortable with being on either side of the camera, and we used to use each other as 'props'. Sometimes you need someone to sit on a bench, or to pretend to be a bum . . . When I saw thos Ki'i I just knew there was one 'missing'

    Trobairitz:

    I think I could endure the laid back lifestyle over there, just not the isolation of being on an Island. It is great to be somewhere warm, when it is cold back home. It makes you really feel like you are on vacation

    Dar:

    I looked at the long range forecast and decided to bring shoes this time, and also our winter jackets and fleece, just for our journey home from the airport. I seldom bring shoes on vacation and in Hawai'i you don't even need "going out clothes". Everyone wears Hawai'ian shirts, shorts and 95% wear flipflops

    Richard:

    going to Hawai'i is like having summer for a week or so, when it is winter at home. you'll get the same feeling in Ethiopia. Bring a solar charger for your camera

    Cpa3485/Jimbo:

    When we first went to Hawai'i a couple of years ago we liked the feeling of getting summer a little earlier. You should know by now that I am a shorts/ T-shirt person and barefeet if I can get away with it, or minimalist sandals as an alternative.

    It's good to be able to drive or not drive as a choice. I used to walk a lot, but not so much lately, my foot never really went back to normal and it hurts after a short distance.

    Steel CupCake:

    we are back home now, back to snow and freezing temps but I have lots of video and photos to bring back warm memories. I also brought back lots of stories to tell.

    VS Lady:

    It seems that all the beaches there look exotic, must be the palm trees, or the good weather and sunshine. It is even warm in the evenings. In the tourist areas of Lahaina the stores are open until 10pm daily and it is still a warm 80°F with lots of people walking around enjoying the evening

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Bobskoot:

    I keep waiting to read (and see) how you rented a Harley on the Big Island and became a local God in your own right. So have you officially retired, or is there another year to go?

    Fondest regards,
    Jack/reep
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete