Thursday, August 15, 2013

Basking in the cool, Pacific Coast air

Another long riding day.  Left Fernley, Nevada at 7 am this morning


I changed my plans again.   Yesterday when I was scrutinizing my maps I decided to go north on 395 or 97 into Central Oregon and then head towards I-5 to make a shorter day.    As a last minute after thought I input an address into my Garmin and the eta showed 1:30p so I quickly decided to leave right away and stick with plan A, which was to ride from Coast to Coast.  From the Pacific to the Atlantic, then back to the Pacific just to prove to myself that I could do it.

Many things conspired to push that eta back to 4pm and then eventually to 5pm, and by the time I found my home for the night it was 6:30p.   All the roads I took had road construction with alternating one lane line-ups which chewed into my time.    Then that delightful road 299 west from Redding took over 4 hours because of several construction zones.   I had really wanted to ride CA36.  That was why I was rushing the past few days but my time ran out and I couldn't spare the extra time.


I eventually made it to Eureka, CA and this is the view of the Pacific Ocean about 20 miles north,  All day the temperatures were hot, up to 35C in Redding, CA when I fuelled up.   When I got a few miles from the Coast it dropped to a comfortable 21c


As I was heading north on Hwy 101,  I couldn't pass up a shot of Paul & Babe, with my bike


I decided to make my home for the night in Crescent City, CA.    I camped on the Atlantic Coast in Cavendish, PEI and now I am camped on the Pacific Coast in Northern California.  What a fitting end to my adventure this year which was to merely go to places which I had never been before.   This was also the first time that I had ever taken a long trip such as this and the plan was to not have a plan but it didn't always work out this way.


The campsite is not near anywhere and I didn't feel like riding so I broke open one of my emergency rations, and also boiled water for a coffee.   Internet is only available near the office and not accessible from the tent area so this is not so convenient for me as I like to cuddle in my tent and work on my computer


To make things easier I downloaded, resized and selected my photos first, from my camp workstation


The tent area is nestled under the trees and this is my view for tonight.  


23 comments:

  1. What a lovely campsite. From the Pacific to the Atlantic and back to the Pacific. Quite the epic trip I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja:

      I was looking at my GPS map and it didn't look right if my line went north to Klamath Falls and then I-5 back to Canada. I decided at the last minute to go straight to Crescent City so I could say I went coast to coast. I also went through Portland, OR so I can also say I went from Portland, ME to Portland, OR.

      I rode over 16K kilometers

      Delete
  2. Wow Bob! What an awesome journey, are you getting homesick? I bet Mrs Skoot is missing you something fierce. What a lovely campsite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar:

      I had been planning to take the time off, 2 years in the planning but this destination was only decided last year. Some days I didn't even realize where I was and I saw so many things it's hard to remember where all these places were

      I actually prefer to camp instead of being in a hotel, except when it is very hot and you need air conditioning, or if it rains you don't want to pack up your tent wet

      Delete
  3. The Northern California coast is one of the most beautiful areas I've been to. I was following your Spot track through Susanville and around Mt. Lassen. All beautiful areas. But I couldn't figure out why another really long mileage day since there wasn't much mileage to your destination tomorrow. I figured that maybe you wanted a low mileage day up the Oregon coast to relax a bit.

    Be careful, as you're almost home...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      I still had a thousand miles to get home. If I did one longer day then I could have two shorter ones. I now consider that an 8 hour riding day is short. I noticed an air museum in Susanville but I couldn't spare the time to stop

      Delete
  4. So nice to see you enjoying the Pacific. I'll send you an Atlantic picture of Peggy's cove where we were yesterday. That way, having been out here pn the trip, you'll be virtually on both coasts at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David:

      The original plan was to go to Peggy's cove and Lunnenberg but we had to cut it a few days short and get back to Kingston. I will now have to fly back and rent a car.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your coast-to-coast-to-coast ride Bob. And now for an easy jaunt home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canajun:

      Once I get within a day range of home, I consider self "HOME". The road from Oregon is familiar as I have been riding down there for a few years and we don't have to worry about deer or moose along I-5

      Delete
  6. So glad you made it to the Pacific yesterday. We were watching your progress wondering where you were going to stay for the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz;

      I was wondering where my home was going to be too. It's more of a challenge when you only have yourself to rely on.

      also, this is the first time I am trying not to plan each stop ahead of time. I am trying to make decisions "on the fly" . I have been lucky that things have fallen into place the past couple of weeks

      Delete
  7. Way to go! Bobskoot coast to coast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky:

      thank you. This type of unplanned riding vacation is a first for me and a test to see if I would do a longer trip the next time. I like the idea that I can change direction on a whim, stay a day longer if I wanted to

      Delete
  8. New goal is the north and south coasts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      think 2015 . . . perhaps the south coasts but not necessarily the northern one

      Delete
  9. Glad you found 299. In spite of the construction, you probably made head of the line in each closure right? Gives you open road ahead when it the flagger signals go. Excellent ride though. All the roads leading I-5 to the coast are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris:

      sorry to say that bikes do not go to the head of the line. We have to wait our turn and it was difficult on the uphill grades only going 3 feet at a time and did I mention the heat ?

      Delete
  10. Looks like you've made it home! Congrats on an amazing adventure! Now, are you ready to try this retirement gig full time?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha:

      thank you again for being great "hosts". I love your washing machine. It was a bit outside of my comfort zone riding so many days so far by myself but I learned a few things about myself.

      My next trip may be my retirement gift to myself. I am thinking another meandering, unplanned sort of vacation like this one, except longer

      Delete
  11. Welcome to California! The Redwoods are beautiful and hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KT:

      I think they have ruined the ambiance of the Redwood forest by putting a freeway through it. If I had more time I would have gone a bit farther south but I have no time left and had to return home

      California is my next destination

      Delete
  12. Ed:

    say hi to Rodney for me too. tell him he needs to work faster so you can go riding

    The coast would be more scenic with less fog

    ReplyDelete