Saturday, August 10, 2013

Marion & Kokomo, Indiana

I thought that I would hotel it so I would have internet and catch up on reading and posting but it didn't work.  I double checked before I booked into the Econolodge that I needed internet and when I complained, they didn't do anything about it.  It sort of worked sporatically but after 2 hours of trying to upload some photos to picassa, I gave up but this morning it works

Yesterday after I left Columbia City, IN a little voice was beconing me to explore some of the roads south of where I was


Hmm,   26 miles to Marion


this is farm country and you see lots of decaying equipment


and lots of cattle.   For some reason cows like to stare at you.  Soon the whole herd was at the fence, looking


who knew that this was the highway of vice presidents


Here I am,   I made it to Marion, IN     Not sure what is here so I ride up the hill


I need to get rid of some fluid and saw this friendly guy at the McDonalds


A local Marion pigs likes my Beemer


I spotted this old building so stopped for a photo


and met Kane who rides a DUI scooter.   He used to live in CA and often visited the Oregon coast.  He noticed my BC plate and came over.   He said that many people here ride scooters since you don't need a driver's licence when you are caught driving and drinking.  I said are you one of those ? and he said YEP


I noticed my first White Castle.  One day I shall try one of their mini burgers


Soon after I headed over to Kokomo.  NO, it's not the place mentioned in that song, but I was humming it anyway


it's a historic town which has seen better days


this house looks older than this photos shows


this old church is for sale but would probably be a money pit


then I saw it . . .  the KOKOMANTIS


It caught my attention and while I was looking at my maps trying to figure out a route back to Chicago


this fellow showed up.  Meet   "Yappy" .  He is a volunteer for ABATE Indiana and he was very friendly and told me how to get out of town.  He rides a big Vulkan

I wanted to avoid the toll roads and was zigging my way back to I-80 and it took over 6 hours travelling over many backroads in the middle of nowhere.  And Garmin Dan's nephew wasn't much help either


There is a Gladiola festival here every year


don't come here for gas, they don't have any


This is typical Chicago traffic.   It is always stopped.   I got caught in a 4 mile freeway construction project and followed the locals only to get stopped by an accident ahead


23 comments:

  1. This post made me chuckle Bob. I bet you spent more on fuel and time puttering around that you would have paying the toll.

    Oh well, look at the sights you got to see. It is an adventure after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz:

      I wanted to take some backroads but it took a long time to get back to the interstate. I managed to find some less travelled roads and nearly got lost. It didn't make sense to just go back and forth the same way

      Delete
  2. Looks like a fun road trip!!! Love the "an old border town"!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathyrn:

      amazing what you find when you aren't looking for it. An old town in the middle of nowhere

      Delete
  3. Bob, I agree with Brandy, what is the problem with toll roads? True it cost me $3.00 to get out of Portland, but... no big deal. If you take the fastest route from Montreal to Florida, and take all the toll roads, it might cost $25.

    Think of it as the price of not having a bajillion potholes.

    Glad to see you wandering aimlessly around the midwest. Ride safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David:

      when you've got no where to be it seemed the logical choice to putter around the backroads. I went through so many small towns and got a feel for Indiana

      Delete
  4. I like the wandering aimlessly vacation style. Maybe you need to check out the "real Kokomo" in Conchsooter's neihborhood just to see if it's any different from the Indiana version...

    I like all the pictures in this post. It gives me the feeling that I've been there...

    BTW, I hate toll roads too and, if you aren't in a hurry, take the little black lines on the map...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      I was trying to follow those little lines but it took a lot of time. I am getting used to the meandering type of vacations too, but you have to have more time to either stay or move on

      Delete
  5. The secret to toll roads is to get a transponder. We've made dozens of trips through Chicago and east, half the cost and the convenience makes it so easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coop:

      I checked the Chicago website. Transponders are not available to persons outside of the country. Also, as foreigners, we are not allowed to pay our tolls on their website. We have to send in a money order.

      Delete
  6. What a nice variety of pictures! Makes me wish I'd been along for the ride.

    "For some reason cows like to stare at you." That always amazes me when the come around one by one till they're all standing there watching me while I'm watching them.

    As for the White Castles - Give 'em a try! They're the original "sliders!"

    - Joe at Scootin' da Valley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe:

      I think you would like it in Indiana. Lots of little towns, many decaying with empty storefronts.

      Delete
  7. If there is no place to be, the winding roads are great. Looked like some fun places to slow down through and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori:

      I could have spent more time there but I have to be moving West soon. My time is running out

      Delete
  8. My fave was the kokomantis gotta love ginormous insects. Safe travels Bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar:

      It caught my attention so I had to turn around

      Delete
  9. Around here when we cross that border we say we are "in de banana" or INDIANA!

    And White Castle "bellie bombs" are a monthly "must have". Cleans out the system clean as a whistle!

    Welcome to the Midwest, you betcha!

    Ride on safely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb:

      I'm not sure I need my system "cleaned". One day I shall try them out

      Delete
  10. I hope you make it out of Chicago in one piece. YEESH!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John:

      I finally got out but traffic is a headache. At least you won't have to worry about stuff like that anymore

      Delete
  11. Geez Bob - thought you went to Kokomo to avoid Chicago ... then you headed right back for it, what gives?
    I loved Kokomo - both times I was there, just because ... because it was out of the way and I have a friend who was born there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen:

      It was a bigger town than I would have thought. Even Marion was fairly big with a courthouse and Detention Centre.

      I figured that I could enter I-80 West of Chicago but I suppose I wasn't West enough to avoid the traffic

      Delete
  12. If you think I'm lost, you should try following ---> Reverend2u

    I couldn't do it any better!

    Now you understand why I do it.

    Enjoy the scenery & roads less travelled (stay off the Interstates - what's the hurry).

    Robert

    ReplyDelete