Thursday, June 4, 2009

Warning signs of impending danger

With the warmer weather the tires seem to be grabbing the road surface differently. I noticed the rear wheel slipping a week ago but thought it was just imperfections in the road surface or those tar snakes (asphalt road repairs) . Also when cornering I could hear some tire noise but attributed it to the sidewalls flexing more due to the higher temperatures

About a month ago I checked all the tires and topped them up where necessary. When your safety depends upon two small contact patches of tire rolling on asphalt, your tires should command more attention.

This morning I set off towards my Dentist appointment. I like to bring my scoot or bike because parking is severely restricted down in the West End of Vancouver. There are few parking spots and they are mostly reserved for those with “Resident” parking stickers.

I left my carport and headed down my un-paved (dirt and gravel) lane. Everything seemed normal. I came to Oak Street made my right turn and headed down the slight downgrade towards 33rd Avenue. The rear of the scoot didn’t seem to be tracking as positively as I am used to but I think it is just the ruts in the road. I fling the scoot from side to side and think to myself that all is well. I missed the light at 33rd and by the time the light turned green, the traffic had caught up with me. I was now in the front of the pack.

All of a sudden, I hear a roaring sound but can’t seem to notice which direction it was coming from. I noticed an older Jeep beside me and think that the driver just doesn’t know how to change gears and was revving his engine. The noise gets louder. I rev my engine and the noise remains constant. I begin to suspect that something is seriously wrong with my scoot. As I am in the middle lane (closest to opposing traffic), I slow down, let the traffic pass, and aim for the slow lane (3 lanes over). I am only 1 block from 25th Avenue where there is a service station. As I approach the driveway entrance, I feel my rim scrapping the pavement but I have to give a bit of throttle to get out of the traffic flow.

My tire is flat, and has become separated from the rim, probably from riding that extra block or two to get out of harms way, so now I do not have the option of filling with air and limping home. I am stranded and my tire is probably ruined from the rim riding the sidewall.

As I was approaching the service station the rear started swaying, but I managed to slow to almost a dead stop to keep it from dropping. I don’t need another ergonomic brake lever, nor new plastic panels. With a flat tire and nearly 550 lbs of dead weight, my scooter is very difficult to move. I cannot get it up on the centre stand.

I get permission to leave it here and will deal with it later.

6 comments:

  1. Your post reminds me that I definately take my tires for granted. And you cannot tell by just looking at them that they are okay. Glad the incedent didn't result in an injury or damage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrible way to start the day...but glad to hear you were OK..a tire blow at high speed could have severe consequences...I like the way it happened (Not the fact that it happened), at least you were safe...! Cheers and good luck with the extra work you have now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bobskoot,

    I've had two flats, both to the rear tire, on my 1150RT. First one felt like the rear end was wobbling, luckily I was going slow in a parking lot when it happened. Second one I spotted when checking the tire, big nail sticking out....nice.

    Glad you came out of that ok, the tire is probably toast though....are scooter tires as expensive as motorcycle tires?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob, I'm glad you are OK. It's good that you were able to keep things under control. I'll be more mindful of my own tires.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cpa3485 Jim:




    I didn't realize what was going on, but now I know the "signs" . My fault for not checking the tire pressures a day ago when it didn't feel right.




    Breve(Baron):




    I was already stressed from the fact that I was on my way to the Dentist. Then I was stressed that I could not make it on time. Then I was stressed trying to figure out how to get to work, then how to get the scoot to my dealer for repair. At least, I didn't crash, but I know if I was going faster then the Wobble would have been a big problem




    Charlie6:




    I've never had a flat before, but I have had low tire pressure before. The rear tire actually came away from the rim and there was no way I could fill with air and limp home. I noticed a very small nail in the middle of the tread.


    That tire has around 10,000 kms on it so I will just order a new tire. The Michelin Pilot Powers for my SV650 cost around C$200. ea, the Michelin scooter tire is around C$150. The new tire should get around 12,000 to 15,000 kms before replacement




    Lance:




    Yep, it doesn't hurt to check more often than not. You should never take shortcuts when safety is involved. This should never have happened. The warning signs were there a few days ago but I thought it was just the tar snakes, or oil on the road. I think that nail has been there for a week or so. If I had checked the tire pressures, I would have known there was a problem and I could have ridden it to the dealer without breaking a sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Bobskoot:

    I am running Avons on the K75 and realized last week that thes tires have close to 11,000 miles on them. I got 12,000 miles out of the previous set of Metzlers. I like the way these Avons handled in the rain, and they are one size up from the standard German tire recommended for this bike. The result has been a more comfortable ride with less dancing over roa imperfections.

    I am going to order a new set today. While these treads look great, these tires are shot. It is important tha new riders like CPA3485 understand that motorcycle tires can wear out anywhere from 4,000 miles to 8,000, and still look good.

    My club maintains a tire changing room, with a tire changing machine. One of the guys will help me through this.

    By the way, I carry a plugging kit, co2 cartridges, and a pump with a tire gauge on my bike whenever I go anywhere. Tubeless tires can be plugged in 15 minutes or less, without taking the wheel off the machine.

    Fondes egards,
    Jack
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete