Friday, October 19, 2012

My GoProHD waterproof case broke

I am very careful with my possessions.  I take care to handle them gently so that they last.  There has been a lot of discussion on the GoProForum about the breaking clip


There is a certain way that you are supposed to "push" the latch as you snap the waterproof case together.  You hold the case on the sides, not on the protruding lens, then you push the tab on the clip very gently until it snaps closed.  This is what I had been doing ever since I bought it.

I am very lucky that this didn't break on our recent iMBC2012 gathering down in Hell's Canyon Oregon.  It broke the weekend after I returned


but since I was going on a ride that weekend to Merritt, BC  I knew that I had to purchase a new case right away.  Imagine a small piece of plastic which cost nearly $50. with the taxes in


I rushed down to our local BB but they didn't have one in stock.  I actually had to go to three stores to find one.  Without this case you have no way to attach it to your RAM mounts.



The new waterproof case also comes with two new rear doors which is nice as they have new seals, rather than having to re-use the old ones that I already had


So there it is, the old case which is now useless unless I can purchase the clip as an individual part.   At the time I was actually thinking of purchasing the New Hero2 just so I can have the case, but I am glad that I waited for the new Hero3 has just been released and it comes with built-in WiFi and has a small remote control which can turn it off and on.  It also hast built-in Bluetooth so you can install an App (android or iOS and control it with your smartphone, which can also be used as a realtime viewer.  This means a multitude of different mounting options to explore.

It is so frustrating to now know if your unit is recording or not, as I have the original Hero1.  The status of your Hero3 will show on your remote by various LED's and it can be mounted on your handlebar

For this post I used Trobairitz's method of Uploading directly from my Hard Drive.  I alsu decided to use Chrome as my browser as it is a Google Product and I thought there may be a problem with my Internet Explorer.  I also decided to upload directly to Blogger for this same reason.  I decided which photos I wanted to use and put them in a separate directory.  I used a bulk image resizer to reduce these images down to 2000x1330 before uploading.   The image pop up menu appeared for all the photos so I had the choice of:  small med large xtra-large left centre right etc for all images.

I tried uploading one at a time, and also multiple images at a time.  The only thing I don't like about this method is that everytime you ADD an image to your compose screen in Blogger, your compose screen goes "TO THE TOP" of your post and you have to drag it back down to the bottom so you can add your text.  Of course this may only be happening to me, and not to you

on my next post I will try using Photobucket and insert images using HTML which is what I am more used to.  Oh, and another thing, when I go to another TAB to find a link, I return to my cojmpose tab and find it closed, so I have to make sure that I  "Save" first before I change Tabs as I don't want to loose anything.

I did some searching on the WEB yesterday about the insert image dialogue and it appears that others have this same problem of not getting the insert image pop up menu for size and position after the first couple of images.  Subsequent images cannot be altered in size from the Blogger compose screen .  There is a workaround if you switch to HTML as you can then alter the HTML code to change the image size but it would just be an inconvenience to have to do this all the time.





14 comments:

  1. Bummer about the case, $50 seems step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve:

      Just click on the links above for the BestBuy web page. 50 bucks for a dollars worth of plastic does seem steep but without it my Hero1 is useless as I can't mount it without the case.

      Delete
  2. I am glad the direct load seems to be working okay. It usually takes me back to the top and I scroll back down. At least it doesn't automatically put the pictures at the top, they are where they are supposed to be. Just extra scrolling. Hope the Photobucket method works for you too.

    It'll get easier. It is hard finding a new system when something goes pear shaped with the old one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz:

      Yes, the photos are at the bottom, where you are working on your text, but the cursor always goes to the top which is frustrating. When you post using the HTML option you are always at the bottom.

      The Photobucket method is what I am used to. I always link using HTML. I think most of the others do it the same way and you also upload individually using blogger through iPhoto. I was trying to keep an open mind when *Vstar Lady/Karen mentioned she uses Picasa which she felt was easier. It's just that when you use the automated features things don't always work as you expected. I am not used to losing control so I like to upload and link manually

      It's not really a new system that I am looking for. It's trying to decide which image host I want to continue with. I am still not happy that Webshots is shutting their server down. Basically my whole blog will be devoid of most of my photos for the past 5 years

      Delete
  3. Bob

    Thanks for pointing out the Hero 3 to me - the remote control is just the ticket!

    I actually lost my Hero hd under the sea last July and was wondering whether to replace it, buy an underwater housing for my Canon IXUS, or go for the Drift camera....decisions.

    I'm unclear what you mean by "The status of your Hero3 will show on your remote by various LED's and it can be mounted on your handlebar". Does the status show on the remote control unit?

    Yours as ever, N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikos:

      I am waiting for more information about the WiFi remote. I think you will be able to turn it off and on, plus start and stop the video. This means more mounting options without having to physically handle the unit whilst riding, which makes it much safer. I do not know if you would be able to change modes by remote. Check the links provided above for more info

      Delete
  4. im interested in the hero3 as well, great info bob! hang in there, you'll find the pic/storage/upload process that you like. and meanwhile this is fabulous info you're sharing... thanks bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms M:

      I will most likely buy the Hero3 just for the WiFi option and remote control. With my Hero1 it is frustrating to never know if it is recording or not. You can also control it with Android or iOS/iPhone as a viewer in real time, or remote to turn recording on or off. The remote is supposed to have a range of 600 ft.

      Delete
  5. Bob, despite the issues with your photos I see you have mastered additing slide shows to your side bar - excellent!
    I still haven't moved to the GoPro 'cause I'm hoping to find a Replay that I can look at in person ... but maybe the remote system you're talking about on the new GoPro3 will make me think more about it as an option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen:

      I wouldn't call myself a Master but I did have to edit the HTML code to fit into the side bar as the options didn't have the correct size.

      I understand how to sync the Albums now but I have a problem with the temp file on my HardDrive, after I "add folder to Picasa" option, which I have to do every time as all of my photos are on external hard drives

      The Hero3 is still the best of the bunch. Anything else you buy will be "less" and the WiFi and remote makes it much user friendly. I am going to stick with GoPro

      Delete
  6. My latch broke a while back too. I just replaced the latch...

    I like the look of the Hero too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew:

      I wish I knew where to buy "just" the latch, then I will have a spare case. Thanks for letting me know that I can buy that part separately

      The Hero3 is 25% smaller and has remote options

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the informative post Bob. My other half just told me he has a GoPro put aside for me at the local bike shop (he had to tell before I went and bought one for myself) I'll have to check out which one it is, I didnt even know there was a 2 let alone a 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .Brenda:

      The Hero3 is a huge upgrade with the WiFi and remote control. I hope your local dealer will let you upgrade

      Delete