Saturday, October 27, 2012

NOT a Fall Food Challenge

I only follow recipes.  I am not good enough to be able to make them up but I have tried a few and altered them to use less sugar, or change the order of ingredients to make use of automated equipment such as my Cuisinart.  It was my plan today to try out Trobairitz' the recipe on her recent post.    I had some things to do today so I got a late start and imagine my surprise when Nancy had already made hers.

On my way home to make these delicacies I stopped at our local Safeway and see what was being tasted


Ambrosia apples.   I asked the lady and she said that they were very tasty and we good for baking.   I tried a few samples and I must say that they were really crunchy


I also picked up a tin of this stuff.  Just had to make sure that they were "Original"


I rushed home and assembled my ingredients.   I did not wish to open a new bottle of Ginger Ale as I already had Coca Cola on hand.   I decided to peel my Apples instead of leaving the skin on


I also decided to dust off my Cuisinart blender and crushed half an apple with the intent of sprinking some extra pieces of apple inside the roll, and also sprinkle some on top when in the oven.   I get hungry while in the kitchen, so the other half went into my mouth


I decided to "Pulse" and chop so I had some smaller pieces, along with the wedges


Meanwhile I was getting the sugary sauce ready to pour over.  I used a wire whisk to stir it up


I am more used to mixing flour with water to form a dough, than to open a tin and I broke one of the triangles.  I didn't know how to open it and I nearly destroyed the delicate tin with my pliers and hammer.  I mixed some apple pieces with the larger wedge before rolling  . . .


My new gas Oven is now up to temperature 350°F and I pour the liquid sauce over my Apple Dumplings.  This was just a staged shot for the Camera.   I actually used a spoon and drizzled it over each one, and also saved some sauce to drizzle on top later


There they are just out of the oven, the apple dumplings on the right.   The cinnamon buns on the left were an afterthought which I also put into the oven at the same time so I could use the "same" heat as it was also 350°F for about 25 minutes.


So here we are.   Trobairtz' Apple Dumplings, slightly altered.  Now you know what we are having for dessert later.  I just have to make sure we have some vanilla ice cream


15 comments:

  1. You used a pliers and hammer to open the paper tube? hehehe. They look like they turned out nice. The ones Nancy made had the kitchen smelling sweet! They are good.
    How was the taste using Coke instead of ginger ale?
    The cinnamon buns look tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erik:

      I didn't want to ruin our silverware so I tried a can opener to pry the lid but it didn't work. I eventually nibbled away at it and tore it apart, that's why I ruined the dough and broke it apart.

      The cinnamon buns were good too, only not enough cinnabon icing

      Delete
  2. It is nice to find a recipe that is not only easy but tasty too and alter able to suit your tastes.

    Hope you enjoyed the fruits of your labors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz:

      thank you, it was easy, even for me. I thought that it may be better with smaller pieces, but it really didn't matter. Just more work for me. I thought that the carmel in the coke may have made a slight difference, but I won't know until I try yours.

      Delete
  3. Bob - If I were to put food down on the floor to take a picture the dogs would have it gone long before I could snap the photo. At this house, should we feel the need for dessert, we go to Mrs. Naish or Mrs. Garrett - much better bakers than I (and far less work). Glad you had fun ... and survived the quake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen:

      We used to have dogs too. I remember one time I was cutting some cheese, and a large chunk flipped onto the floor and it was gone in a "millisecond". We had two dogs and everytime you were in the kitchen cutting something, two mouths were always ready and waiting . . .

      Okay, I take it that is your offer to take me to Mrs Naish or Mrs Garrett. I can't wait

      Delete
  4. Yeah, the pliers were a hoot! Lol
    I love apple dumplings and will certainly try this out. Sounds pretty easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat:

      MMmmm, slightly warmed Apple Dumplings with Ice Cream. I could go for another serving Right Now ! Do they have apples in Oklahoma ?

      Delete
  5. Wrong tools for the job. Pliers and hammer to open a cardboard tin? You need power tools...

    Both dishes look very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      I am not used to opening cans. I thought that there should have been a pull tab of some sort. I looked all over the label for instructions too. Also I did not know that these tins are pressurized. As soon as I got the end off, it started to expand outward and that's why some of the dough got ripped.

      You're right about the power tools. Next time I should drill a little hole in the end to release the pressure, and then pry the end off. You learn something new every day

      Delete
    2. Bob, just a hint.. There's a little bit of paper to unwind in a spiral from the tube. As you unwrap the tube, the pressure will cause the tube to pop open. Continue to untwist the tube and the dough will just about fall out! No dough damage.

      I see your grocery store had them at 2 for $7.00 on sale.... ouch.. They're $2.18(regular price) a tube down here.

      Delete
  6. This looks like it should get the Tummy-lious award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam:

      Thank you. We also have some very simple slow cooker meals we make during the colder season

      Delete