Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Burp . . . Turkey, Turkey & more Turkey

Well, our Canadian Thanksgiving is over. We had our Turkey dinner early (on Sunday) instead of Monday. It's been a hectic weekend, non stop action. It all started with a 75th Birthday party the previous Sunday for a member of the Route 66 Association of Canada (I am on the executive). I had been working on the video/slide show for the last week but I had some problems with the software so it took about a week to get it all together after around 12 hours of labour. While photography has always been my hobby, I found that everyone is walking around with a camera taking pictures, so I decided that I would move more towards mpeg4 digital video. It was my plan to use as much Freeware/Shareware as possible and I am happy to report that with the exception of ONE CODEC I have achieved my goal. The downside is that I use Windows Movie Maker and it freezes A LOT. What can I say ! It's FREE, so if it freezes who am I to complain. I see from the chatter on the editing forums that it is indiscriminate, it freezes for everyone and Microsoft does not have any fix for it. I am not adverse to paying for better software, but from all the reviews of mpeg4 editing software, they all have their deficiencies.
But what does all of this have to do with Turkey. Nothing really, just letting you know that instead of BLOGGING I have been spending a lot of time updating my YouTube channel and being time starved for the past few days.
Our traditional Turkey dinner is usually comprised of: the Turkey, Stuffing, brussel sprouts, yam, sweet potatoes, vegetable hash, cranberry sauce, gravy and of course the Pumkin pie for dessert (with ice cream, of course). If you are going to go to all that trouble to roast a turkey, then you might as well get a BIG one. That way you have enough to make dinners and sandwiches for the rest of the week. At least you don't have to wonder what's for dinner, as tomorrow we are having turkey again. And I still have a couple of turkey sandwiches for tomorrow.
And NO, I didn't take any pictures of all this food . . .

But I did take some pictures of that new Slalom course down on Cambie Street.

IMG_4113

If only you could stop the traffic. There had been a lot of controversy regarding construction of the SkyTrain Line (rapid transit) to the Vancouver International Airport (YVR). Cambie Street has been dug up for a couple of years now and a lot of business are struggling to stay open. A few big box stores have opened up on the south slope and they keep diverting traffic as they get the pavement ready for traffic.

IMG_4114

I think if you moved a pilon or two to appropriate positions you can get a nice slalom course set up. All we need is a blocker on both ends to stop all the cars.

IMG_4115

Cambie Street used to be a major artery into the downtown core, but with all the construction and road closures, the traffic has moved to other routes. When it re-opens, soon we are told, then it will be a congested parking lot again. In the meantime, perhaps we can get a slalom going.

IMG_4119
(my friend Gord, mimicing the figure on the sign)

For now, the traffic is light . . . and the turkey is nearly gone.

1 comment:

  1. Election wrapped up in five weeks, Thanksgiving a month early. Must be a bunch of cold bloooded communists up there. Oh and I'm still waiting to hear of the first Canadian bank failure. No stamina thats your problem. Real Americans get snwoed under by 18 fiascos at once, and then gobble their turkey.

    ReplyDelete