Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Leaving PEI: Prince Edward Island

When we were planning our trip last year our final destination was going to be PEI.   I did not have reliable internet at that time so I kept my posts short, even though my intent was to do a full post each evening  Here is a post written on the road back in July, 2013  (Here1)   We spent 4 days on the Island but I was not able to edit my video until now that I am back at home.   I had a minor problem with my Hero3 not deleting the software upgrade file on the memory card which caused it to freeze but I managed to figure this out when I was in Portland, Maine, where I was able to receive Free, Fast Internet (thanks Mike)

   Packing up at our campsite.  KOA, Cornwall PEI   (drizzling rain)

While the rest of the country was experiencing the best summer ever . . . we were shrouded in clouds with torrential rains and flooding which caused us to cancel our ride to the North part of the Island so I spent a few hours at historical North Rustico Harbour (Here2)

   Tourist from Kingston, ON snapping photos north of Cavendish Beach, PEI

The plan was to ride over the Confederation Bridge from NB: New Brunswick over to PEI and I posted my video  Here3

and now it was time for us to leave and start heading West.   The day started with light rain with moderate winds.  You do not notice this on the video but we had to slow down as the wind was strong enough to blow us into the oncoming lane.

   Button spotted in Summerside, PEI

It was July 29th, 2013 (Monday) and we were headed to Shediac, NB, the Lobster Capital of the World




Where we were hosted by Adventure Riders Dwight and Angele

   Dwight & Myself.   Rare photo of a non-drinker sampling some of Dwight's beer

I look at my map and I can't believe I traveled so far and it all seems like a distant memory but it's only been two short months since I was there.  Read more Here4


10 comments:

  1. All the rain you've been having should bring back those memories in a hurry. If you want to feel like you are in PEI again, just put a tent up in the backyard in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz:

      I am thinking that I missed summer. Weather was not so great after we arrived in Bar Harbor, ME and we got rained out when we were in PEI. During all this time it was a record summer back home with no rain for weeks.

      I am smiling when I read your suggestion. I looked at my tent the other day wishing it could be used another time this year but it is going down to 5°c tonight and I am out of vacation days

      Delete
  2. What was most evident to me in your video is how hard it was to see Karen's bike. Even with all of the hi-viz stuff, many times it would just blend in with the road and essentially vanish.

    Does it seem like a long two months and you're ready to hit the road again? And you never mentioned what you thought of his home brew beer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      I don't like to follow too close. I am using the 5 second rule or more so I am usually far behind so she looks like a speck on the horizon. I also wanted to show more blank space ahead

      Hard to believe that it was only 2 months ago when we were there. I wouldn't mind going back to see what we missed. Next time will include Nova Scotia, Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg for sure. I like the idea of a vacation with unplanned routes and go with the flow. Stay a day or change routes on a whim . . . until you run out of time and have to get home

      I do not know what a good beer should taste like as I am a non-drinker, but I am experimenting and trying it out.

      Delete
  3. So did the sign come from your tour director?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      Our tour guide doesn't put up with (perceived) unsafe behaviour, as David found out. It was all his fault for dragging me in . . . for the record "I had nothing to do with it, your Honour"

      Delete
    2. She's used to dealing with a room full of 5 year olds. You guys must fit that demographic...

      Delete
  4. Loved the video Bob, I'll have go back through your posts to find out the details of your camera, mounts, methods, etc. I used to mount a Flip camera, since I had one and was mostly satisfied. The weakest part was editing once I had the video. I should get brave and try it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coop:

      I usually don't leave long sequences of just the road ahead BUT I wanted everyone to see how long that bridge was. Plus our weather was not good half the time we were there.

      I am using a GoPro Hero3 but the silver edition and I do have the wireless remote, which I don't use. Recording set at 720p 60 fps edited using Premier Elements 10. I like Premier elements. I know others use Final Cut or iMovie but I started with Elements 7, then Elements 9.

      The trick to producing edited video is deciding upon the "output" parameters as bitrate is what determines "resolution" of our videos. The higher the bitrate the clearer your video but increases file size and time to upload to Youtube

      I find that there are times that a static image cannot convey what a moving picture can convey

      Delete