Sunday, June 30, 2013

Small Tool Tube for my R1200R

My bike is ready but I am still working on loose ends

   I bought some DWV 2" ips plumbing pipe and fittings

I needed a place to store some small tools.  I made a small tool tube


Access is through the removeable threaded plug on the right


I mounted it behind the frame on the right side of the rear tire and NO it doesn't hit the tire.  I did a test ride on Saturday to check it out


Here it is in position


and another view from below the fender


Here it is with the left side case attached


It is hardly noticeable


I decided to wrap some small tools in zip lock bags and roll them up


I have some zip ties, socket extension and a small ratchet


So I don't have to unmount my tool tube I put these rolled  zip bags into another larger plastic bag and put them down the tube.   This way I can just grab the end of the bag and pull it all out


There is more room to put sockets but I am not bringing any as my bike uses Torx for all the fasteners


I do not have much storage room under the seat of my "R".    On my Vstrom there is a tool tray where I can put open end wrenches, tire plugger and worms,  screwdriver set, and even a small air compressor.   I needed to create a bit more space for my "R"



12 comments:

  1. I remember the first bike trips I took; I used to carry the kitchen sink and the more bike travel I do the less I seem to need, Some items got added like W/D 40 and a big hammer, but mostly it's been a quest to make every item serve multiple functions, or find a lighter simpler way to do the same thing.

    It's especially important for me because I can't carry a ton of stuff on my scooter and I'll be camping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David:

      I am carrying less and less every year but we still need to carry tire plugs and compressor. Last year I had lots of space left in my cases. My BMW "R" has less storage capacity than my Vstrom and I am going for 6 weeks but I know that I can always buy what I need along the way

      Delete
    2. Six weeks. The last trip I took that long was in 1986. You are right, time passes.

      Delete
  2. I love that tool tube! Is that a webbing strap holding it in place?

    Elegantly simple. Genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky:

      that velcro strap was just there to hold it in place temporarily so I could determine the mounting position. Later I used metal hose clamps to secure it in place. You could also put sockets in there "loose" but then you will have to unmount it to shake the stuff out. using a plastic bag makes it easier to pull out

      Delete
  3. Bob, is there room for the tripod in that tube?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David:

      My small folding tripod can be put into my topcase if I need faster access to it

      Delete
  4. I hope you never have to uncap that tube! That will mean a fun, trouble free trip....my favorite kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul:

      it was my plan to never have to access it either. Just put stuff in there for emergency use only

      Delete
  5. Bob,
    Where did you find the strap that holds the tube onto the frame? Did you already have it or did you have to source it somewhere? Rubber, nylon webbing?

    Please make sure that once loaded with all of your gear that a full compression of your suspension leaves clearance for the tube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coop:

      I already had that velcro strap, but you could also just use a leather belt and poke a hole where you need

      I also made a small tool tube made from 1-1/2" IPS which clears the tire "for sure" as it is too narrow to reach the sidewall but then I would have to make it removeable so I can dump my bits out.

      Delete
  6. Bob, that's a nice looking tool tube. Well done.

    ReplyDelete