Sunday, September 22, 2013

Red dirt of PEI: Prince Edward Island

July 25, 2013:    We arrived on the Island of PEI, I wrote about it here.    We spent a few days exploring and relaxing and one day we also got rained out and could not ride the North Cape Loop, which has the highest concentration of lighthouses in North America and a spectacular coastline.  Just one more reason to go back . . .

    North Rustico Harbour

A storm was brewing and expected to hit the North Cape the next morning so we decided to stay put and not ride anywhere.  Good thing too as a funnel cloud hit Summerside, PEI and created a deluge of water and flooding and it was right along our intended route.   Since the weather was iffy, VstarLady decided to go for a long walk and I knew that I wouldn't be able to keep pace so I put on my wet weather gear and went exploring . . .


David asked about the red dust/dirt so I thought I would provide a few photos.  The next one I may have posted before.


Most of the local roads have a reddish colour.  Probably due to the inclusion of the red sand.  Most of the parking areas are dirt or gravel and when wet they are as slippery as talcum powder.  That's why you notice that I parked on the asphalt and not on the dirt portion


While this parking area appears to be paved, it isn't.  Many cars and trucks have trampled the ground, over time, which gives the appearance that it has been paved.  It is not completely flat and there are puddles everywhere


I am not a fan of riding in mud or gravel but I stopped for a photo because of the name.  I mean, how can I resist ?


Notice that while they were experiencing record temperatures back home in Vancouver with no rain for days, we are here under overcast skies and threatening rain, hardly seems like July


I decided to spend some time here, walking about, visiting the gift store and snapping a few photos of the old lighthouse and then I decided to head south for a few miles and explore the countryside.  I am not in a rush to go anywhere.  Eventually I head back to Cavendish to have a snack, find Karen and head back to camp


Notice that they have red dirt roads here too.   Our time was too limited and it would have been nice to stay a few more days but the weather was not on our side

The next day we (Karen) decided that we should go to Wood Island


The plan was to park on pavement and walk the short distance on the red dirt.   I look at how far it was and decided to just ride .   The walk would have killed me . . .

    BMW R1200R with the Wood Island Lighthouse

Here's a short video of our off-road adventure





19 comments:

  1. Interesting, when we traveled the Maritimes PEI also appeared shrouded in clouds with a storm brewing. I wonder if they actually have good weather ;-). The route to the Wood Island Lighthouse looks quite slippery. Can't imagine to go on there on two wheels when it's pouring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja:

      I look at the weather forecasts for NL all the time, and they seldom seem to get good weather. When wet, that red dust is really slippery. We were lucky it wasn't too bad for us. At Wood Island there is a ferry that goes over to Nova Scotia. . . . if only we had the spare time

      Delete
  2. My days there were lovely.....Newfoundland was a different story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coop:

      You were just lucky. it's the same on the Oregon Coast. We had to go there several times before we could see the Ocean. Also on our last trip to Big Sur, Calif, we wanted to drive to Morro Bay but after 100 miles of white mist/fog, we turned around and went back to Saratoga.

      We went to Newfoundland in early September and it was not too bad. Not warm but no rain either

      Delete
  3. That red dust/mud sounds like challenging traction conditions. How are you finding the rain protection of the Beemer? Does it divert rain from you or not make a difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom:

      that red dirt is everywhere. Most likely why their potatoes grow so well. Only the roads are paved and the parking lots NOT. If it had been raining a lot then it would have been slippery.

      The R doesn't have much protection, only the C Bailey windshield. It's more or less the same as my Vstrom. I get a lot of wind and bugs get stuck to your pants . . .

      I'd rather be tucked in your sidecar . . .

      Delete
  4. I have seen and heard wonderful things about NF and PEI over the years and your photos don't disappoint. It does seem like you got hit by a lot if rain but at least you weren't fording rivers (Colorado streets).

    Nice video. It looks like it would have made a nice walk or ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard:

      come to think of it, we got rained out in Bar Harbor, Maine too with flash flood warnings. Weather was mostly overcast in the Maritimes. All was good until we left Portland, ME

      I think NS would be closer in landscape to NL than NB was with quaint fishing villages

      Delete
  5. All of the pictures just make me want to head to the east coast. But in the dry season. Wait - does PEI have a dry season?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz:

      You could always fly there and rent a car. That's what we did the first time we went, then you won't have to worry about the rain. I think the real beauty is over to NS or NL. We went during a September and most things over in NL were closed for the season, so plan to be there during July or August

      Delete
    2. Bob - hate to tell you this but they hadn't seen a 'lick' of rain for a whole month before we arrived. PEI has beautiful weather. Just 'cause it rained on us doesn't mean it rains all the time ... but that red mud does get slick when it rains, and I hate what it does to my pretty white bike!

      Delete
  6. You're in a maritime climate so rain is pretty common on the coast. Still a fantastic place to visit - wet or dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canajun:

      I think if you get good weather then it would be a bonus. It's just the luck of the draw over which we have no control. Just like your recent trip to the desert, you must have gotten a years worth of rain during the week you were there . . and I think you are still smiling . . .

      Delete
  7. What is the allure of lighthouses? I got all sorts of grief for not going to see the Hatteras one on the Outer Banks. I just forgot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Conchscooter:

      With lighthouses come dramatic, scenic coastlines, usually dangerous waves, thus the need for warning signs to not run aground or crash into reefs or rocks. Viewing lighthouses are secondary . . .

      Delete
  8. I have sometimes wondered about riding a motorcycle on Prince Edward Island. Are there any challenging roads or interesting twisties or do people mainly ride there to say they have gone and see the scenery?

    - Dave at Motorcycle Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David:

      You go to PEI to see your own Country. Roads are not that challenging but you have to be careful of the red dirt and most parking lots and scenic pullouts are not paved. There is a difference between touring and riding twisties.

      I supposed there's not much difference to riding to Alaska and up to Prudhoe Bay and then going south to Ushuaia the southern most part of Argentina in South America, or some may prefer to ride to Key West.

      Being on the West Coast of Canada we are the farthest away from the Maritimes. It's a long way for us, perhaps not so far for you. Perhaps some want to brag that they have ridden to PEI, but I want to go there to take photos. Sure I could go in a car but I like to ride too. I can go in a car anytime. Just fly and rent a car. Riding a bike takes more vacation time than most can take at one time and I have to do it while I am able as time is not on my side. It has always been my intention to see my own country before I venture elsewhere. I have already driven across the country in my car and I have been to NL but it is such a big island that I want to go back and explore what I have not yet seen

      Delete
  9. You didn't mention it, but I have to ask. Did you get some ice cream from Bob's Fishing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky:

      I thought about it but it was chilly riding over here and threatening rain clouds. I would have if it were warmer

      Delete