Sunday, May 29, 2016

Live Free and ScooterBob

Amid a flurry of grass clippings and dust, I saw the USPS truck speeding around the bend in our street as though our few humble homes were the last deliveries standing between this mail carrier and the freedom of a holiday weekend off. I rumbled to the backyard on a mower that has likely seen better days, and when I came back, there was a box resting on the doorstep. As a self confessed Amazon Prime junkie, I knew I wasn't expecting a delivery. I examined the return address and immediately knew what was inside. 

ScooterBob had arrived. 

When I first signed up to host ScooterBob I was the proud owner of a 2014 Triumph Bonneville. My third motorcycle, the Bonne turned out to be a perfect fit for me. In the two years that I had it, It took me on pretty amazing adventures. There was no ride too long, no adventure too daunting, simply nothing I could not do with that bike. The story of its passing is as dramatic as it is sad, and is a post for another time. I mention it now because given the untimely parting with my Bonne I was unsure if I was the right person to host ScooterBob. Would he still want to see New England if it wasn't on two wheels? My correspondence with the current host (Toadmama )and moderators ensured me that Bob would still want a visit no matter how it happened. I was touched by their kindness. 

So here he is. As I opened the box I was profoundly moved by the small wooden motor scooter I found inside so lovingly packed in bubble wrap and peanuts. I found the bag of souvenirs that chronicled his journey around the world. I carefully unfolded each piece, remembering where I had read about it before. There was no doubt in my mind that this little scooter, and the man who inspired it's travels, meant a great deal to the people who are keeping his mission alive. Described as an imperfect human, I feel like maybe Bob and I would have gotten along. 

So for this man I have never met, and the people who have taken such good care of the tiny scooter that embodies his traveling sprit, ScooterBob and I are going to kick some ass. 



11 comments:

  1. Matt, I am sure that you will have a blast. I am looking forward to your adventures. Let the little guy inspire you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, nothing could be finer than the adventures you will share with Bob's tiny avatar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, can't wait for ScooterBob (and you) to share New England with us. Let your adventure together commence!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing SB kick that ass!

    Like the comment about the mementos - I guess the pile was just starting when he visited me. I hope that someone does an inventory and posts up when he finally finishes his travels. Be great to see the collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! It will be fun for everyone to see all the bling. There's lots of cool stuff in there.

      Delete
  5. This little adventure that we have all undertaken has no become such an epic adventure it's become inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said, Matt. You actually brought tears to my eyes. We are all imperfect in our way(s). I am so looking forward to sharing your adventures with SB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am looking forward to reading your posts with ScooterBob. Bob wouldn't have minded at all that you won't be on two wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to more pictures of NE. I've never spent much time there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Matt,

    Enjoy your time with ScooterBob!

    ReplyDelete