Saturday, February 18, 2012

29in29: 8Teen

Bryce Canyon, Utah: After a snowfall

I was looking through my archives for some lighthouse photos for you know who but my archives are everywhere. I have multi-hard drives and dozens of DVD's so it was a project that I didn't wish to tackle tonight. Instead I will show you some images that I came across when we were in Utah a few years ago and we stopped at Bryce Canyon

DSC_0851

We left Mesa Verde in Colorado but we were caught in a few snow storms and had to take cover in Monticello for the night. The next day we headed west on Hwy 95 through Hanksville, the Escalante and nearly turned around because there were no other cars along this stretch and the snow was getting much worse. But we made it.

DSC_0869

When we got to the entrance, the Ranger told us that because of the fresh snow they had some avalanches and half of the rim road was closed. They also closed all of the trails because they were tired of having to rescue all the stupid tourists.

DSC_0875

Even so, there was no discount, we had to pay full price to enter the Park but we were rewarded by having the whole place to ourselves. Lucky thing we brought our hiking poles as the snow was very slippery

DSC_0918

Whenever we travel somewhere I always try to bring back a family portrait

DSC_0896
Bryce Canyon, Utah November, 2004

6 comments:

  1. Those are awesome. What a color combination between the snow and canyon walls.

    Cute picture of you and Mrs. Skoot too, as always. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! What great views! Looks so peaceful and serene with the snow fall. I love how the rocks jut out of the drifts and beautifully shows the contrast of the snow and rock.

    I wonder... is this what heaven looks like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thanks for the memories. We had some great times in Bryce Canyon, but I have never seen them snow covered. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful images! That has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Group reply:

    Thank you for your kind comments. When we originally planned our trip we couldn't get time off, until November. Then we encountered snow storms along the way. At times we were the only car on the highway, I mean, who else would travel that time of year. It was great to be in Bryce after a fresh fall of snow.

    ReplyDelete